Tuesday, July 18, 2017

7.18.17

 
I have not been able to resist making this sweater.  It is Granito by Joji Locatelli.  Such beautiful simplicity, that thing.  Those pefectly placed pockets.  The skinny sleeve/baggy body combo that I'm so into right now.  Even though I suspect this otherwise very good yarn (Holst Supersoft) is not a good match for the pattern--Supersoft is quite rustic and a little bit scruffy and light as a feather, which is ordinarily one of it's big advantages, but it isn't going to drape at all, and Granito seems to need drape--I had some Supersoft in the stash and this pattern was crying out to me.  It may work out just fine, but somehow that isn't the point right now.  I have reservations, indeed I had reservations when I set out, but I am enjoying it anyway, and I might surprise myself--it could be perfect.  It might!  We knit on the porch, Catdog and I.  She offers advice and suggestions, and raises an eyebrow slightly at me now and then, when I make an ill-considered yarn substitution, but for the most part she is intent on the arrival of the garbage truck or the mail carrier or somebody going by on a bike, and can't really be bothered with my yarn problems.
In non-sweater news, I am clearing out my closets and foisting all the granny blankets on my kids, who unwittingly walked into my trap this week and are now doomed to be sent home overloaded with Mom's Crochet.  Honestly, I love all these blankets (you may remember some of them) but there are only so many beds around here, and only so many blankets two people can use.  Go forth into the world, yarny blankets, and keep warm the assorted college students and bohemians.  (And take a few quilts with you!)
A couple of my beautiful girls brought their own projects in progress with them, too.  I may have taken seventy-three photos and a couple videos of them knitting and crocheting, and teaching each other to knit, oh my goodness.  It never gets old.  

7 comments:

  1. Oh, your girls' projects look so pretty. Lovely colors. Can't wait to see your sweater. I knit on the porch with my dog, too. She starts crying if I make a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your children's knitting! Mine is only 2 and is already very interested in my crocheting. When I put it down she picks up the hook and tries to stick it into the yarn. So cute and I hope she'll still be interested in learning when she's a little bit older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny and beautiful blog post! You have such a good way with words that I really enjoy reading them. That sweater may just turn out to be Miss Perfect! You just never know... and I love how cat/dog sits with you on the porch. And lucky you to have 2 girls who will want to sit beside you and visit and tell their secrets as they knit away the hours. The kiddos are lucky to get mom's blankets and the memories made in the making of them. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such yummy yarns goodness! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gift you gave your kiddos with your handmade afghans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bundle of blankets is so yummy! I'm sure your kids will love to take some home :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I like that sofa in his new color! And the cosy sweater...

    ตารางคะแนน

    ReplyDelete